Wednesday, June 13, 2007

So What Is It All About, Really?

Classical music, I mean. Well, this first article isn't about specifically classical music, but the general audience response to it. I really have nothing to add, but the general gist is: "Why do audiences these days feel the need to applaud loudly and to give a standing ovation to every performance?"
I think that a lot of people feel uninformed about classical music, and so if one person stands up and cheers, they feel like they should too. I don't often stand up on my own - unless someone I know is onstage. What kind of crap mentality is that?

But in the grand scheme of things, the only thing that this habit is hurting is the feedback for the performers. Or maybe music critics have taken the place of direct audience feedback?

And in a lot of ways, isn't it true that classical composers don't necessarily want the approval of their audiences? Historically, what is at first received poorly goes on to be more famous ( Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, jazz, Beethoven, Berlioz).

This article takes the other side - what happens when audiences can't stand the music. I kind of feel like it's their right to express their displeasure. It makes things a little more entertaining. Maybe if I was on stage during a performance like that one I wouldn't feel the same way. At least the audience is involved to some degree, instead of just falling asleep until the piece they want to hear.

On a completely different note, Scout Niblett is awesome (and it's not just her name). This video especially shows some of her stuff with more interesting harmonic progressions. It would be fun to analyze sometime.

No comments: